In the college district of Ventura– at approximately 1pm, a structure fire was reported in the 300 block of La Salle Avenue. The residents, who were home at the time, were notified by the smell of smoke that there was an active fire and quickly evacuated the structure. One of the residents, who noticed smoke and flames from the two-car garage successfully took a garden hose inside and knocked down the main body of the fire. Firefighters arrived on scene reporting remaining active smoke and fire pushing from the area.
Ventura Fire personnel extinguished the remainder of the fire, searching out remaining hot spots. A thermal camera was used to detect active fire in locations not identified by active smoke or flames. The fire started on a work bench where the resident was charging batteries for a RC ‘remote controlled’ electric miniature model car. The fire flashed beyond the point of origin, and spread was contained to the back wall of the garage. Significant smoke damage was present through the garage but contained to the area.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
Photo Credits: Ventura City Fire Department
There have been numerous fires caused by battery chargers in the last few years. Ventura Fire would like to remind residents to not leave charging batteries unattended. The lowest common denominators for such fires are underequipped charging strips or inadequate transformers that generate significant heat production during charging. Charging locations for battery operated tools and equipment should be placed in a clear area without combustible materials adjacent and be monitored for potential malfunction.
Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE