CitizensJournal.us- Letters to the Editor (Archived 2017-2019)

LetterstoEditor
Since this is CITIZENS Journal, public opinion is especially important. We accept general letters here from the public, on varied topics in the form of comments, below. If you wish to respond to specific articles, scroll down to reader comments for the appropriate posting.  If you want them featured, include full name, address, phone number (the latter two will be kept confidential) and send to [email protected]).

We reserve the right to edit or even withhold content which is illegal or especially offensive to our general readership, unless it is necessary and relevant to make an important point. Responses are moderated, so they will not display immediately.

If you’d like to submit an article for publication, let the editor know and you will be sent material submission guidelines.

– Debra Tash, Editor-in-Chief — [email protected]

Scroll down to enter a letter or to see existing general reader letters/comments. Note that most letters appear elsewehere, under the articles they respond to ….

If you’re NOT a subscriber, why not? Register free.

This page contains general letters from Mid January, 2017 to 2019 Many others are posted directly to relevant articles.

For previous letters, see https://citizensjournal.us/citizensjournalus-letters-to-the-editor/

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
47 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Tom
Tom
11 months ago

I have had the same problem. When I post a comment, after a few seconds the page refreshes but without the “Comment Awaiting Moderation” and the comment block is empty.

I usually compose my comment in “Word” and paste it into the comment block. The last time I had this problem the table I pasted into the comment block had grid lines around each cell. I suspect “Word Press” does not recognize the grid lines and rejects the comment.

C E voigtsberger
C E voigtsberger
11 months ago

I wonder why my letters seem to disappear into the ether layer?
I notice that my letters have that tendency. Is is screening by some program you have installed. Am I doing something wrong with my posting? I put in my name and e-mail address. I don’t have a clue what is meant by “website” and have never filled that in even on letters that appear.

I spend a fair amount of time trying to at least make my letters coherent. Are you exercising editorial privilege by only allowing a limited number of letters from one individual?

I hadn’t seen any guidelines for letters and so assumed that as long as they weren’t libelous or malicious or fall into some other category that might lead to litigation they were acceptable.

If I don’t have personal knowledge of facts, I couch the fact in equivocal terms as opposed to some writers who post incorrect information as if it were gospel.

Inquiring minds want to know.

C E Voigtsberger
C E Voigtsberger
11 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Jose Medina
Jose Medina
1 year ago

. I live in the south Oxnard area and I feel that a bit of economic development and gentrification would be a good thing. I also have quite a few friends who live in the south Oxnard area and I would like to share with you some of the things they have told me. The area in south Oxnard has the most crime in the city, my neighbors and I are uncomfortable in our own community and do not feel safe shopping or venturing out in our area. We feel there are not enough quality stores, restaurants and places to shop in the south area. The stores that are located in our area are run down, inundated with homeless individuals, crime and the quality of the items being sold is usually sub par. The Ralphs on Saviers has homeless people sitting right next to the entrance, they are very aggressive and accost people as they are loading their groceries in their cars. The produce at Ralphs on Saviers is usually sparse and rotten and the parking lot is full of potholes so what do my neighbors and I do? We get in our cars and drive to Camarillo or Ventura to shop. There are no decent restaurants in our area either so what do my neighbors and I do when we feel like eating out? We drive to Camarillo or Ventura. We do the same when we have any other shopping needs because we are afraid of having our cars broken into while we are shopping or worse. We wish we had a “collection type” of shopping center in our area with restaurants and stores so we would not have to drive so far. We also wish the city would pay some attention to fixing up the area and give us the same attention as the north end. We pay taxes and just because we are not located right off the freeway does not mean our area should be neglected. Crime is a huge problem in our area, there is usually a shooting or stabbing every weekend and every several days, someone is arrested with a loaded gun in their car. Unfortunately, this is normal for our area. Drunk drivers are causing accidents and leaving the scene on a regular basis also. Homeless people standing on the median kick cars that are stopped at the light. This rampant crime has made my neighbors afraid to go out of their home at night and we want these criminals out of our neighborhoods. With all the crime, the police should be driving through the neighborhoods on a daily basis, I can’t remember the last time I saw a police car in our area. The trailer park on Pleasant Valley and Bradfield looks like a neighborhood in a third world country and there is a homeless encampment right behind Oxnard College which is outrageous. All of these things contribute to the reputation of the entire city. South Oxnard is part of the city of Oxnard so when there is violent crime every weekend it makes the entire city look bad. One of my neighbors commented that he thinks the city refuses to improve the south area in order to contain all the criminals in one area and keep them out of the rest of the city. He is retired and wants to sell his house and move out of the area but the value on his five bedroom house with a huge backyard is not enough to pay for a small condo in another city because the property values are so low in our area. Good quality citizens don’t want to deal with this mess and are not attracted to the south area of Oxnard, all we get is riff raff. South Oxnard is in need of a major overhaul and I feel that a little bit of gentrification will get these criminals our of our area and bring in some quality citizens. Let’s stop catering to these people and encourage them to make improvements in their lives and bring up the quality and values in our neighborhoods. Your citizens are taking their money and spending it in neighboring cities because of the lack of safety, the rampant crime and the lack of good quality stores. Oxnard is not just The Collection and it is time the south area got the attention it deserves!

Ronald R Gibson
Ronald R Gibson
1 year ago
Reply to  Jose Medina

Sometimes I really think that both Oxnard and Ventura are on a race to see who can get to the bottom first. Both cities have allowed their infrastructure to fall apart. I have started to get together a collection of streets in El Rio which is supposedly under Ventura County’s jurisdiction. I say supposedly because I do not think they have been down that area for maybe 10 years at best considering the dilapidated condition of some of the homes there. I feel so sorry for the neighbors having to put up with this sort of condition. All of us in Oxnard and Ventura need to start pushing back with our local governments now!

Bill Ricker
2 years ago

Alan Meyer’s articles on “Characteristics of Money” should be on front page for it’s importance as he will lead up to more later.
They don’t take much space and everybody needs to give this more thought…….like why can’t they get the return on money with savings they used to or should!

Fran Austin
Fran Austin
2 years ago

LOVE LETTER TO OUR STUDENTS

As a teacher and grandmother attending a CVUSD School Board Meeting, 11/14/17, I witnessed palpable hostility, appallingly crude behavior . Three dedicated School Board Members, acting with dignity and integrity in performing their duty to protect and ensure the best interests and intellectual safety of vulnerable students, endured hateful, rehearsed, inexcusable verbal attacks from the “liberal” student, parent, teacher audience. Unbelievable!
The issue re discourse was English/Language Arts Curriculum book selections, Grades 9-12.
Their subject matter and language were inappropriate, profane, perverse, including suicidal ideation aimed at fragile young minds, portraying pedophilia as ‘normal”, a pedophile as a sympathetic character.
Such behavior and material are outrageous, revolting, heartbreaking. Children deserve better academically and morally . In my opinion, the label ‘mature’ reading is a misnomer, unfit for even ‘adults’.
The intent and purpose of these ‘selections’ is to further lower academic standards, politically indoctrinate, corrupt and mangle young minds, electrify, prey on emotion, innocence, foment division and fuel victimization, confound critical thinking, blurring morality re right and wrong, call good evil, evil good.
All this at the hands of a School System and Teachers’ Union charged with modeling, teaching excellence, but instead regarding our most precious resource as chattel (property, intellectual slaves), a source of financial lucre, control, power.
Students, anyone encouraging you to believe and ingest this force-fed depravity is deceiving you; such deception is based on lies.
It is child abuse per se, like encouraging you to put your hand into fire, cross the street as a car approaches.
“We are what we eat” physically, spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, socially. We are blessed not to eat food from a dumpster. Feasting on waste from one of putrid thought becomes a form of ‘intellectual self-mutilation”, possible irreparable harm.
Book selections should be based on inspiration, not desperation, elevation, not degradation.
Focus and thought should be on “whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of virtue, good report , praise”.
So, ‘rebels without true cause”, scripted in the false, unjust cause of “censorship”/book banning, I ask you why the Bible, the first and only school textbook, is “censored”/ banned, from your classrooms.
Apropos quote, “garbage in, garbage out, Gospel in, Gospel out.”

Fran Austin

David Allen
David Allen
2 years ago

“In recent weeks, I’ve asked people this question: Can you name one instance in the last 60 years in which most blacks have stood for something good?”

Unbelievable statement. I realize it was the opinion of the gentleman
who wrote it, but is that the opinion of Citizens Journal as well?

Wow. Stay classy, CJ.

Barry Gabrielson
Barry Gabrielson
3 years ago

Its really sad the Constitutional Conservatives like myself don’t have a newspaper to rely on for information.

I understand that Im in the minority here, yet, I cant get a politician to meet with me regarding any major issue herein Ventura County, nor will any newspaper present any audit I have done on school board, board of supervisors, California American water, SCE, or any politician. Both Managerial Editors wont meet with me, or any reporters, to at least, print an opposing view, when a politician or Monopoly makes inaccurate statements in their papers. No Reporter will call me and ask, “do you have any information that will counter their claim (s), and evidence to support your claim”. That is how it should work, print each side of an issue, with facts, evidence, etc. give all the information to the reader, let the reader decide who is telling the truth and who is misleading. You cant get both side, only one side is presented in articles. Politicians dont like to be countered, yet they have nothing to worry about. They can lie to the press, its printed as the truth, no one counters or says a word. The only chance on has to to get a letter in the opinion page, which is, an opinion. Articles are written as facts, more
powerful for the reader the read. Reporter know this, are not allowed to print both sides, based on Kyle (Acorn) and Greg (Star).

Barry Gabrielson

Verne Arnold
Verne Arnold
3 years ago

Amen, brother!

Robin Hoffman
Robin Hoffman
3 years ago

Water Rules?
Latest water bill’s insert has some interesting “rules:”
No outdoor irrigation 9-5
But if I do it at 5, I can see if something’s broken
and geysering all over!
Outdoor irrigation limited to 15 minutes:
Maybe this one doesn’t apply when watering the street?
No watering during/after rain:
Doesn’t anyone use automatic timers
(that don’t know when it rains?
No excessive runoff:
Hmmm. I think I saw this one before.
No washing down paved surfaces:
How big or small before they count?
Leaks must be fixed within seven days!
And ignorance (of a leak) is no excuse for disobedience!
Seems like if the price of water were the same throughout the district, and if it reflected the availability of the resource, people would conserve water (and their own money).
But I’m probably not getting the whole picture?

Tom
Tom
3 years ago

Comment on letter by
Lawrence Paul Stein June 16, 2017 at 8:27 am

“By dividing the actual expenditures (88,490,083) by 70% I am showing a result of $126,414,404, a number that is greater than the original budget amount of $122,348,06 by over $4,000,000.”

The General Fund Report shows that 70% of the adjusted budget amount was spent after 83% of the year had elapsed.

To project the full year spending, the spending to date amount should be divided by the percentage of the year that has passed (83%), not the percent of the amount spent (70%).

$88,490,083/.83=$106,614,558.

Lawrence Stein
Lawrence Stein
3 years ago
Reply to  Tom

Let us see where the city stands with the May report. The original budget amount was $122,000,000 for the 2016 – 2017 fiscal year. The proposed adjusted 2017 – 2018 general fund budget is $128,000,000 (original 2017 – 2018 budget $125,000,000 + $3,000,000 augmented adjustment). How can the city say they are running out of money when the general fund budget has the potential growing by $8,000,00 in a year’s time? How much of the $8,000,000 is going to parks and streets? How much of the $8,000,000 is going to city employees? How much of the $8,000,000 is going towards equipment for public safety?

Lawrence Stein
3 years ago

How is it that the General Fund has grown from $112,000,000 to $125,000,000 in a few years while the number of actual city employes have gone down? At the city council meeting of 5/16/2017 the city mayor spoke of the need for awareness for water safety for 20 minutes.

The plans for a public pool at College Park was proposed in 2002 (Phase V). This was after the city closed the public pool at the Old Oxnard High School following buying the property from the Oxnard High School District. 15 years later no pool, which would have cost $3,000,000. The city did find funds to build a $12,000,000 fire station that was previously proposed to cost $4,000,000 (see Fire Department 10 year Strategic Plan 2005).

Several times in the last 15 years, members of the public have asked for life guards at its 5+ miles of west facing beaches to little avail.

The cities of Ventura and Port Hueneme have life guards at its beaches. Those beaches attract tourists. Camarillo and Ventura seem to be able to find finds to support aquatic centers.

Filled headcounts are going down, while the General Fund is going up. Where is the money going?

Respectfully submitted,

Lawrence Paul Stein

Dennis ralph
Dennis ralph
3 years ago

The mayor of Oxnard championed the multi million dollar Taja Mahal at Rice and Rose in college park, not near or close to, but in the park. It now stands as a beacon of the corruption that serves as the hallmark of Oxnard’s incredible stupidity!
That land that fire station 8 sits on was public park set to become a pool or a aquatic center, deeded to the citizens for “public park use in perpetuity.” Tim Flynn wanted the vote from the firemen’s Union so that’s what we got a fire station “in the park.” He and Oxnard fire department saw to that you and your kids did not get a pool, you got a fire station in a public park! Thanks to mayor Flynn and your city council.
It’s a long sad story but the local fire union with the help of political powers, unscrupulously confiscated our land that was deeded to the citizens for “public park uses in perpetuity” laid waste to our park to satisfy the want of a new station. What land was promised to the kids and youth of our city as park was taken by greedy self serving individuals from our fire department. Personally I hold the city of Oxnard and the fire department in disdain. I have no desire to be involved with handing out accolades to originations that I feel are unworthy. To all the kids that were to get a public pool on that acreage but never will, good luck because within that long story lies the fact that the land that was once yours now belongs to a single individual residing in Arizona. Oxnard will always be corrup, dishonest, and untrustworthy.

Mark Savalla
Mark Savalla
3 years ago

TO: Letters to the Editor, Ventura County Star.

TRAVEL BAN COULD COST US $188B IN TOURISM, ANALYSTS SAY

The only reason I haven’t cancelled the VCS is so I have material to refute regarding your one sided Progressive articles that don’t give the public accurate information regarding numerous topics especially when it comes to our current president.

The TRAVEL BAN article by Bart Jansen (USA TODAY) proffered the position that president Trumps travel ban was hindering tourism in the United States. Then as an afterthought he states that the travel ban will decrease the number of students who will come to this country and also that big business is worried that the “order would make it more difficult to “attract talent, business and investment to the United States”.
If the Travel Ban stops “students, talent and business” from those countries that provide terrorists I’m all for it. Secondarily, “Many experts remain bullish about prospects for tourism, despite a strong dollar that makes the U.S. expensive for some international travelers. The U.S. Commerce Department predicts a record 78.6 million international visitors will visit the U.S. in 2017.
Brand USA, which promotes travel to the U.S., said it has “not received any data that shows any tangible change in bookings or cancellations by international travelers.”
Travelers from the Middle East comprised just 3.6 percent of non-resident international arrivals to the U.S. in the first half of 2016, according to U.S. Department of Commerce data. The president’s order does not include the Middle Eastern countries that send the most travelers here — Israel, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
These are facts not presented in Mr. Jansen’s speculative article.

Mark Savalla
Mark Savalla
3 years ago
Reply to  Mark Savalla

This letter was actually printed in the VCS on4-12-17. Shocked out of my socks.

Dotty Pringle
Dotty Pringle
3 years ago

Well researched and written!