With the weekend workers in mind, on Memorial Day Monday, May 27, Ojai naturalist Lanny Kaufer will lead a group 2 miles into Matilija Campground in the heart of the Matilija Wilderness, one of his favorite locations in the Los Padres National Forest. The views of the surrounding mountains are stunning and there is a great diversity of riparian and chaparral life to identify, sample and discuss. The chaparral plant community has made a striking comeback since the December 2017 fire, and bears witness to nature’s resilience.
There is no prepayment required, just a promise to notify Kaufer in a timely fashion if plans change. Registrants will receive a confirmation email several days before with all necessary info. After the hike they will receive an email with a complete list of all the plants and wildlife identified, including common and scientific names.
The cost is $25 for adults, $20 for seniors 62 and older, and $15 for full-time students 13-18. Kids 5-12 can go free, one per adult, by prior arrangement. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. No dogs or smoking, please.
Information and registration at HerbWalks.com or by calling 805-646-6281.
- Nature Hike in Matilija Canyon
- Monday, May 27, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Learn identification and uses of native plants. Explore ecology of Matilija Wilderness
- $25 for adults, $20 seniors 62-and-up, $15 for students 13-18. No dogs, please.
- Register at HerbWalks.com, email [email protected]or call 805-646-6281