drug arial, generic sans-serif;”>
order arial,sans-serif;”>“There’s No Place Like Home!”
The Ventura County Board of Supervisors is excited to present the 5th Ventura County Senior Summit at California State University Channel Islands. Ventura County Senior Summit 2015 will take an in-depth look at innovative affordable housing options, in-home resources, and new technologies for senior living. Experts will share their knowledge, invite meaningful discussion with seniors, and provide input for the County’s goal-setting and Strategic Plan.
- Registration is free for workshops and activities.
- Free continental breakfast and brown bag lunch included.
- Vendors and community resources.
- Register for free transportation to and from the event and be eligible for additional prize giveaways!
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN. Click the Register Here button below. Seating is limited.
Do your part and have a HEART!
Over 100,000 residents in Ventura County are food insecure with a growing number of senior citizens needing assistance. Each canned food item you donate at the Senior Summit will enter you into a grand prize drawing. Donated food will benefit Food Share, Manna, and the Ventura County Area Agency on Aging Senior Food Pantry.
Senior Summit Agenda
|8:30||– Check-In & Continental Breakfast|
|9:00|| – Welcome by Supervisor Linda Parks, Ventura County Board of Supervisors
Dr. Richard Rush, President of California State University Channel Islands
|9:15||– “There’s No Place Like Home” – Sean Zellers, Ventura County Area Agency on Aging HomeShare Program|
|10:00-10:45||– Session A|
|10:55-11:40||– Session B|
Brown Bag Lunch & Keynote Presentation
|12:00||– Congress of California Seniors Policy Update on Housing|
|12:15||– Presentation of the Mel Silberberg Eldest Active Senior Awards & Canned Food Drive Raffle|
|12:30-1:00||– Keynote Presentation: “We’re Not in Kansas Anymore” with Linda Henderson, Senior Program Manager, Ventura County Human Services Agency|
|1:00-1:30||– Main Hall Demonstrations|
|1:45-2:30||– Session C|
SENIOR SUMMIT WORKSHOPS
- Staying in Your Ruby Slippers: Avoid everyday dangers in the home that can cause tripping, falling down, and losing one’s balance. Dr. Thomas Duncan, Ventura County Medical Center, will demonstrate important life-saving balance techniques and Paul Furtaw of Home Remedies will discuss useful home modifications that can help you stay safe in your home.
- Pull Back the Curtain on Technology: While technological advances are the way of the future, you don’t need to be an all-powerful wizard to understand how technology can benefit you. LeeAnn Harper, RN from Livingston Memorial Visiting Nurses Association, and Cesar Garcia, CEO of SilverGens, will discuss innovative technology and telecommunications that meet your needs without having to leave your home.
- Finances, Mortgages, and Loans! Oh My!: Home financing issues can be frightening and difficult to understand. Paul Norr of Bucks County Financial Planning Group will help you find the courage to address your financial challenges so you can see your way to a more secure future.
- Click Your Heels for In-Home Services: Access to non-medical in-home services gives you the power to remain in your own home with fewer worries. Kathy Cilley-Wagner, Ventura County In-Home Support Services, and Patti Jaeger, Ventura County Area Agency on Aging will provide an overview of available in-home services, meal services, and costs.
- Bringing the Wizard of Oz to You: Learn about pioneering services that bring vital medical aid to your home to help prevent health problems, manage chronic conditions, and avoid hospitalization. During this interactive session Mike Taigman of AMR Ventura and Renee Higgins from the Ventura County Health Care Agency will talk about new medical in-home services for healthier living.
- Help for Auntie Em: Family members, friends and even professional caregivers face a host of responsibilities, many of which can be unfamiliar or intimidating, so it’s important to know there are resources available. Join Martha Shapiro, LCSW, Director of Camarillo Healthcare District’s Wellness and Caregiver Center and Andrea Gallagher, CSA President of Senior Concerns to find where caregivers can get the support they need.
- Follow the Yellow Brick Road: When living at home is no longer an option, you must follow a new path to senior living. Kathy Terry from the Long Term Care Ombudsman Services of Ventura County will discuss what to look for when considering a quality place to spend one’s golden years.
- Ding Dong – Is Affordable Housing Dead?: Houses are not falling from the sky. Learn about senior housing needs in Ventura County and creative housing options. Christy Madden, Ventura County Senior Deputy Executive Officer of Community Development; Sean Zellers, Ventura County Area Agency on Aging HomeShare Program; and Ron Mulvihill, Housing Innovations and Solutions, will offer a discussion on what is now and what is new.
- Avoid the Wicked Witch of Scams: Educate yourself about the most recent scams that target seniors’ finances, insurance, home modification projects, and much more with Jane Kreidler, California State License Board and Deputy Mario Molina, Ventura County Sheriff’s Department’s Crime Prevention Unit.
- The Merry Ol’ Land of Oz: The Village to Village concept gathers resources and support within a community to help seniors remain independent in their own homes, leading active and full lives. Carol Kitabayashi, Executive Director of the Westchester Playa Village, and Dinah Frishling of the forthcoming Conejo Valley Village will discuss the benefits of this innovative community concept of living and the steps you can take to create a Village in your community. (Morning sessions only.)
MORE SENIOR SUMMIT ACTIVITIES…
- And Toto Too? – Ventura County Animal Services will be on site to educate about their great services. Consider giving a loving home to a Toto of your own!
- The Heart, the Brain, the Nerve – Learn life-saving CPR techniques. Register for Lifeline Medical Alert System. Enter your birthday when you register to qualify for the Mel Silberberg Eldest Active Senior Award.
- Become a Wizard – Visit resource tables and find out about services available in your community.
- Avoid the Flying Monkeys – Get a free flu shot at the Health Care Agency mobile unit.