Furnace catches fire in Ventura Home

story arial, there sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;”>At approximately 9:15am this morning a few residents in the 9000 block of Telephone Road noticed very black smoke coming from a roof vent in a duplex and called 911. The East Ventura two story townhouse was occupied at the time. Firefighters arrived on scene, made contact with the resident and investigated.

A fire was located in the first story of the home in the furnace closet. Fortunately, the fire did not spread beyond the closet and firefighters extinguished the fire in seven  minutes. The fire was caused by an electrical short and involved the internal mechanics of the heater. Crews used thermal imaging cameras to inspect the adjacent areas for hidden fire spread, and provided forced ventilation to evacuate the smoke from the structure. An inspection of the attic proved to be clear of danger. The home was occupied at the time of the fire by 1 person, she reported to firefighters that she did smell smoke and was going to call 911 right when firefighters arrived at her door.

Like most residents here in Ventura, the recent drop in temperatures have prompted residents to use their furnaces for the first time this season. Fire departments across the country usually see a spike in residential fires during this time. Captain Thomas Voss of the Ventura City Fire Department warns, “people tend to forget that rugs may have covered floor vents and dust and accumulation of debris may be in the vicinity of furnaces, and that is when items can catch on fire.” The fire department recommends having your furnaces annually inspected and cleaned by a professional.

The residence was left in the care of the resident, and the housing authority was notified. Damages were not estimated to exceed $2,400. The resident was not displaced.

Telephone Road Fire.jpg

Photo Credit: Ventura Fire Department


press_release_iconGet Citizensjournal.us Headlines free  SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments