Nature of Incident: Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Operation
Location: Moorpark, CA
Date & Time: September 29th, 2021
Unit(s) Responsible: Ventura County Sheriff’s Office – Moorpark Police Department – Traffic Bureau
Narrative: Moorpark, California. – The Moorpark Police Department will conduct a bicycle and pedestrian safety operation On September 29th during peak school drop-off and pick-up hours aimed at keeping people safe during heavy traffic hours in school areas.
The Moorpark Police Department recognizes the need to protect the public by looking for violations made by bicyclists, drivers, and pedestrians that make roads unsafe.
These violations include drivers speeding, making illegal turns, failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, failing to stop for signs, and signals or any other traffic violation by bike riders or pedestrians.
The safety of bicyclists and pedestrians remains a top priority for the Moorpark Police Station. So far this year, the Moorpark PD Traffic Bureau has investigated 12 injury collisions involving bicyclists and pedestrians.
To keep you and your family safe, the Moorpark Police Department offers the following tips when out biking, driving, or walking:
- Only cross at marked crosswalks or intersections with a stop sign or signal.
- Look for cars backing up. Avoid going between parked cars.
- Make eye contact with drivers. Don’t assume they see you.
- Wear bright clothing during the day and use a flashlight when walking at night.
- Wait for pedestrians to cross the street. Be courteous and patient.
- Stay off the phone.
- No speeding. Speed limits are not suggestions
- Look for pedestrians when backing up, turning at intersections or entering/exiting shopping centers.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets are required by law for anyone under 18.
- Bicyclists must travel in the same direction of traffic and have the same requirements as any slow-moving vehicle.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Prepared by: Deputy Dan James
News Release Date: 9/23/2021
Media Follow-Up Contact: Deputy Dan James Office (805) 532-2646 [email protected]
Approved by: Captain Victor Fazio
Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE