Please find the Garcia Campaign’s response to Christy Smith’s publicity stunt letter below. The Smith campaign sent their debate “preconditions” letter to the campaign’s “info” & “press” accounts as it was released to the media – proving there was no honest attempt for a constructive conversation on future debates. – Lance Trover
Dear Assemblywoman Christy Smith:
We are in receipt of your debate “preconditions” letter but perplexed as to why you believe this is necessary given the debate in the most recent election.
As I am sure you recall from earlier this year, you and former Navy fighter pilot Mike Garcia engaged in an online debate hosted by the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce, a fair and non-partisan organization. Further:
- Our teams worked collaboratively on that process to reach a consensus on the format.
- The debate had no cost barriers.
- Debate viewership was accessible to all CA-25 residents via online streaming.
- The debate was well publicized in advance to ensure voters were aware of the event.
- And, held safely in the midst of the COVID-19 epidemic.
In essence everything you outline is exactly how the last debate was organized.
More troubling, however, is the list of topics you demand must be covered.
Nowhere do you mention the following issues of utmost importance to the families of CA-25:
- Out of control taxes and liberal policies in Sacramento that are crushing small businesses and their workers during a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic
- AB5 and how it’s driving jobs out of California
- How you believe California is doing “just fine” in spite of all this
- Your failure as Chair of the Emergency Management Committee to even hold one hearing on Coronavirus
- Your support of defunding our local law enforcement
- Your comments denigrating the dedicated members of our armed forces who put their lives on the line every single day to defend this country and your right to debate
We do understand that typically publicity stunt letters like this are submitted when a candidate is losing. While your focus remains on a liberal Sacramento agenda, Congressman Garcia will continue fighting for lower taxes and more Coronavirus relief for small businesses and their workers.
Lance Trover, Spokesman
Mike Garcia for Congress
Mike Garcia believes in a strong national defense and is a pro-business, pro-taxpayer, political outsider with nearly 20 years of service to this country as one of the first Super Hornet strike fighter pilots in the Navy and is a highly decorated US Naval Officer. Garcia is a first-generation American whose father immigrated to the US in 1959 and has lived in the 25th district for nearly all of his life. Garcia lives in Santa Clarita with his wife and two sons. He was elected to Congress on May 12, 2020, winning a Special Election with 55% and becoming the first California Republican to flip a Democrat seat since 1998.
The 25th district encompasses the cities of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Palmdale, Lancaster and the northern part of the San Fernando Valley. The median income is $76,866 and the ethnic breakdown is 45.8% White, 8% Black, 7.7% Asian and 35.3% Hispanic.
To learn more about Mike and his campaign for Congress, visit https://ElectMikeGarcia.com.