Santa Paula, Calif. – The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to Santa Paula Police Department. The $33,000 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in Santa Paula Police Department’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on Santa Paula roads.
“These are trying times, and now more than ever, it is important that we are at the forefront of traffic safety,” Sr. Officer Burnett said. “This funding allows us to educate and enhance the safety of all residents.”
“This grant will greatly assist the Santa Paula Police Department with traffic enforcement. It will assist with preventing accidents and injuries on our roadways. The grant will be used to educate drivers and children about pedestrian and bicycle safety. The grant was obtained by Senior Officer Burnett to improve traffic safety.” Chief of Police Cordero said.
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1, 2020 to Sept. 30, 2021.
The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
- Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug-impaired driving
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands-free cell phone
- Patrols with emphasis on education of traffic rights for bicyclists and
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals, improper turning/lane
- Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speed, bicycle and pedestrian
- Collaborative efforts with neighboring agencies on traffic safety
- Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
“Through education and behavior changes, we hope to create an environment that is safe and equitable for all road users in our community,” Sr. Officer Burnett said.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.