Tom Dunn: Interview of a Formerly Homeless Recovering Addict

By Tom Dunn:

Editor’s note: Tom Dunn of Port Hueneme News did these two video interviews of formerly homeless, now recovering addict, Lang Martinez. Lang has now become an advocate for the homeless. In Part I, Tom persuades Lang to tell us about the life of the addicted homeless, whom Lang estimates are 80% of the population on the streets. He also comments on Oxnard’s recent assessment of the homeless in the Plaza Park/downtown section of Oxnard, CA, a seaside city of over 200,000 with most of the big urban city problems. Finally, he provides a layman’s overview of various addictions and approaches for dealing with them. The most important message in the interviews is that addiction and subsequent behaviors are a choice- something not admitted much today and that there are approaches to dealing with it, but they are not easy to succeed with.

In Part II, Tom Dunn drills down on what Lang’s situation is. The highlight is Lang’s reaction when Tom asks him what is different now in his current situation. Lang’s tears well up and he almost breaks  down as he attempts to express how much his life has improved and how much gratitude he has for his sponsors, partner, friends, supporters and of course, our Lord. We hear that there wasn’t a dry eye in the studio as he did so.

Other articles about Lang Martinez

On 5:30 pm on July 31 at Mission Church, Lang will be celebrating one year of sobriety. The address is 5353 Walker Street Ventura , CA. 93003. You are welcome to attend.

Tom Dunn is a Port Hueneme resident who is publisher of Port Hueneme News, a digital newspaper (facebook @huenemenews) and host of  “Hello Port Hueneme” a video interview show about people, places and things in Port Hueneme.

Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free  SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE

6 Responses to Tom Dunn: Interview of a Formerly Homeless Recovering Addict

1. Rafael Stoneman July 12, 2019 at 11:15 am

Hi Karen, I don’t know the same Lang that you knew. The Lang I know is not playing me, he is honest about his past actions and is working hard every day not to return to that ignorance and destructive behavior that was influenced by his drug addiction. In my experience, the pain and trauma that you and your son suffered while Lang was lost in his addiction can be healed. It is possible to forgive. When we forgive, we free ourselves from the blame and hate that is trapping the pain within us. For your own peace, forgiveness is the way, otherwise you remain engulfed in the anger that encloses your heart. Don’t forgive Lang for his sake, forgive him for your own sake.

2. Lang Martinez July 12, 2019 at 12:57 am

I’m not going to deny what my ex wife Karen Martinez says that I have done to my family. In one of my articles I tell everyone that I have destroyed my family’s lives not once but three times. I also tell you that I gave my life to God and about the promise I made? The bible says that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that we are forgiven. I want to be honest even though this is what the bible says and it to be true . Yes God has forgiven me, but have I forgiven myself for what I have done to my family? No Karen and Brandon I have not forgiven myself and saying I’m sorry is not going to make you or me feel better. All I can do is prove through the way I’m living now by not repeating those things that I did to you in my past and not repeat those past actions in my present life today. Everyday I have to pray to God that someday you and Brandon can forgive me . Karen not a day goes by that I regret everything that I put both of you through. I also pray that both of you can be free of the hate you feel for me . Karen and yes Brandon you are my son , I’m so very sorry and I’m proud of you son and that you’re a good husband and father to my grandchildren. Lang Martinez

3. Karen Martinez July 11, 2019 at 5:12 pm

This is a joke none of you people know Lang like I do. He can pull the crocodile tears on better then any woman. He destroyed his family beat me hurt his son. I stayed with him put him in so many drug treatments stood by him while in prison. Left me and his son homeless so many times but I’m a strong woman I took care of me and our son then he did things to him I just found out about. To the woman he’s with she’s crazy for being with him he is a user and will play you. He calls me says things to me and in the back of my mind I know he is full of it. But you people are feeding into it well enjoy. It’s a total joke.

4. Rafael Stoneman July 11, 2019 at 8:22 am

How does someone using drugs/alcohol make a choice to stop when their brain is highjacked by the drug? Where does the power to choose to abstain come from? What creates the moment of clarity that leads to abstinence?

5. Lang Martinez July 11, 2019 at 6:43 am

Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, all these and many other, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. The phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manistification of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence.

6. Rafael Stoneman July 8, 2019 at 8:20 pm

Drug addiction is considered a disease by many in the field today. The approach is that the drug being abused highjacks the decision making part of the brain in the pre-frontal cortex. Once the pre-frontal cortex is high-jacked, in this way of viewing addiction, the person will give themselves the drug even before food. Under this model, the person is no longer considered to have a choice because the drug has taken over the ability to chose not to do the drug.
    I am not saying I agree with this model or disagree with it. What do you say about this model of addiction, Lang?