(The Center Square) – President Joe Biden announced he is running for reelection early Tuesday, and former President Donald Trump responded with the first shot in what could be a presidential campaign rematch.
“You could take the five worst presidents in American history, and put them together, and they would not have done the damage Joe Biden has done to our nation in just a few short years,” Trump said in his video response on TruthSocial.
“Not even close,” he added.
Biden is 80 years old, and Trump is 76. Trump led his response video by attacking Biden on the economy, pointing to inflation and wages.
No major Democratic candidates have challenged Biden so far, and his announcement Tuesday will likely clear the field.
“Every generation has a moment where they have had to stand up for democracy. To stand up for their fundamental freedoms,” Biden said in his announcement. “I believe this is ours. That’s why I’m running for reelection as President of the United States. Join us. Let’s finish the job.”
On the Republican side, radio host and commentator Larry Elder, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, and businessman Vivek Ramaswamy top the list as other announced candidates.
Sen. Tim Scott, R-SC, publicly launched an exploratory committee earlier this month. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is also considered a major contender but has not yet announced.
So far, though, Trump is leading the charge in attacking Biden, painting the president’s tenure as a disaster and giving a window into the focus of the campaign going forward.
D.C. Bureau Reporter
Casey Harper is a Senior Reporter for the Washington, D.C. Bureau. He previously worked for The Daily Caller, The Hill, and Sinclair Broadcast Group. A graduate of Hillsdale College, Casey’s work has also appeared in Fox News, Fox Business, and USA Today.
TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT CITIZENS JOURNAL Please keep us publishing – DONATE