Ventura: Family Dog Dies in Fire

Just before 11:00am Friday morning, a single story residence caught fire in the 2000 Block Anthony Drive in East Ventura. Neighbors, who called 911, reported heavy smoke coming from the attic and no one home. Firefighters arrived within 5 minutes (who were clearing another call approximately a mile away) and quickly attacked the fire. The owner of the home arrived soon thereafter and advised crews that the family dog was still inside the house.

Crews battled the blaze and searched the building. The main body of the fire was contained in the kitchen with minimal extension into the attic. The main body of the fire was knocked down in 7 minutes. Fire rescue crews located a large dog in a bedroom and quickly brought it to the exterior of home for resuscitation. Firefighters performed K9 CPR for approximately 10 minutes, however, were unsuccessful in resuscitation efforts.

A preliminary investigation revealed the fire started in the kitchen; it is suspected a malfunctioning appliance was to blame. Building damage was estimated to be approximately $70k and content loss to be $30K. Firefighters overhauled the home and protected the roof assembly in preparation of tonight’s predicted rain.

Red Cross arrived on scene and provided the family assistance in shelter and food for the next few days. The building was yellow tagged and Ventura’s Building and Safety Division will be following up with homeowners this afternoon. The residence was left in care of the homeowners. Other than the family dog, no other injuries were reported.

Photo Credits: Ventura Fire Department


Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free  SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments