1:00pm: Hispanic Heritage Month at Stagecoach Inn Newbury Park
When: Sat, 1 October, 1pm – 4pm
Where: Stagecoach Inn Museum, 51 S Ventu Park Rd, Newbury Park, CA 91320, USA (map)
Description: https://www.conejovalleyguide.com/community-message-boards/#!/general:hispanic-heritage-month-atThe Stagecoach Inn Museum proudly celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month from September 17th to October 15th inspired by the vision of the United Nations General Assembly for National Hispanic Heritage Month, “Unidos: Inclusivity for a Stronger Nation” From that inspiration, Ventura County is over 40% Hispanic and has a rich culture which built the early fabric of our local society. Over 58,000 acres of land, known as Rancho El Conejo, was granted to Ignacio Rodriguez and Jose Polanco in 1802-1803. We invite the public to learn what life was like at the ranchos in the early 1800s. The Inn features Caballero and Fiesta costuming.
Each Saturday during regular museum hours 1:00-4:00, enjoy new “hands-on history” activities including making fiesta flowers, grinding beans and cinnamon for Mexican coffee, decorating cascarónes, carding wool for yarn, and other opportunities to experience the rich Hispanic culture of our region.
• September 17th – Make and take home Papel Dahlias (tissue flowers)
• September 24th — Hispanic-Themed alpaca fur carding table and Mexican blankets made of raw wool on display in front of the Gift Emporium. In front of our Adobe, enjoy coffee and cinnamon grinding, learning the recipe and history of Café de Olla.
• October 1st – Make and take home a Cascarones (tissue paper eggs) at our Spanish Adobe structure and perhaps take a walk on the nature trail while the glue on the tissue paper dries
• October 8th – Make your own Papel Picado Garland (Mexican Perforated Paper) in front of our Adobe to take home with you.
• October 15th – Learn how to use a washboard at our Pioneer House, and enjoy our Lavanderia, Hispanic Open-Air Laundry display at the Adobe.
The Stagecoach Inn Museum welcomes visitors on Wednesdays & Saturdays from 1:00-4:00 pm. Regular admission is $7 per person; children 5 to 12 are $5 (card or exact cash please). Children under 5 and Conejo Valley Historical Society Members are free. Annual CVHS Family Memberships can be purchased online or at the door for as little as $50. Note: Not all buildings are open on Wednesdays; pricing may differ for dedicated events.
Stagecoach Inn Museum, 51 S. Ventu Park Rd., Newbury Park