Ventura County Sheriff Department – Incident Press Release
The Thousand Oaks Police Department is warning shoppers to secure their purses while shopping at local grocery stores due to an increase in wallet thefts.
Shoppers are being targeted by suspects who will use a distraction technique to separate the intended victim from their purse. They also look for unattended purses in shopping carts that are not zipped. This practice allows the suspect an opportunity to remove the wallet from the purse without detection. The suspects then use stolen credit cards at other area retailers to purchase merchandise and gift cards.
The Thousand Oaks Police Department is requesting the community’s assistance to curb this crime of opportunity by doing the following:
- If possible, carry your purse over your shoulder or place the purse strap across your body
- If you must place your purse in the shopping cart, NEVER leave your purse unattended
- Keep the zipper on your purse closed
- Pay attention to people around you who may get too close to your shopping cart
- Be aware of other shoppers who may distract you or offer assistance while your purse is unattended in the shopping cart
Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. These suspects are counting on you being distracted. Please report any suspicious activity to the Thousand Oaks Police Department at (805) 654-9511 or 911.